» Romanian Online Journal - Xerophilia
by eduart Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:25 am

» Problem with cacti
by nzivanovic Sun Aug 27, 2017 10:58 pm

» Free continual trading thread
by chris86 Mon Jun 12, 2017 3:54 pm

» Nooker gone aussie
by Jackdaripper Sat Jun 10, 2017 8:40 am

» Newbie here, received a few succulents as a gift. Would love some help identifying them so I can research how to care for them!
by SneakyCuttlefish Fri Jun 02, 2017 7:08 am

Share | 

newbie here....what cacti is this????

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
chocolatecatt

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2010-04-02

PostSubject: newbie here....what cacti is this????   Fri Apr 02, 2010 12:02 pm

Hi all,

We have a lovely mature cactus in our front garden and whilst I love it, my husband does not. Someone from a few houses down has told us they want to buy it (!) and I was just wondering if anyone here can id it first (we've only owned the house a few years and the garden was established when we moved in)? And if you have any idea, what on earth would one charge for it, if anything???

My pics aren't the best.....our cactus is about 2m tall (probably a bit under actually) and probably stretches out 2m as well. Lots of nice pale yellow flowers come out each morning. Really quite nice to look at

Back to top Go down
Hellonasty
Admin

Number of posts : 1824
Registration date : 2008-04-04

PostSubject: Re: newbie here....what cacti is this????   Fri Apr 02, 2010 3:23 pm

Your cactus looks like Cereus Peruvianus var Monstrose. A common plant, but this one is quite nice due to its size.

I wouldn't sell the entire plant just take a cutting, they grow readily from cuttings. Search this forum or google for a guide on propagating from a cutting.

My Cacti Blog, please come visit me.

http://astrophytum-and-friends.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down
scarab

Number of posts : 70
Registration date : 2009-08-22

PostSubject: Re: newbie here....what cacti is this????   Fri Apr 02, 2010 3:29 pm

tell your husband to put on his anti cactus goggles
Back to top Go down
Navajoa

Number of posts : 599
Registration date : 2009-09-15

PostSubject: Re: newbie here....what cacti is this????   Fri Apr 02, 2010 4:27 pm

Don't want to scare you, and it's okay at present, but you probably want to make the most of it, as it's not far from being declared a noxious weed. It's currently on the "watch" list. Not illegal or anything yet, but knowing the way the mad bureaucrats work, it probably won't be long.....

http://www.dpi.vic.gov.au/dpi/nrenfa.nsf/LinkView/70B90D609F4CCF06CA2574260018DAEF2B72296A5108C4FFCA25734F0009F96F/$file/VAW%20Fact%20Sheet%20-%20Hedge%20Cactus.pdf
Back to top Go down
chocolatecatt

PostSubject: Re: newbie here....what cacti is this????   Fri Apr 02, 2010 5:57 pm

Thanks all

Lol at anti cactus goggles....interesting re. the possible noxious weed comment...your link didn't work for me so just wondering the reasoning behind the 'watch list'??

ETA: Just tried your link again and it worked. Thanks for the info, my husband will be happy to read it, lol!
Back to top Go down
Lachy

Number of posts : 733
Registration date : 2008-04-05

PostSubject: Re: newbie here....what cacti is this????   Sun Apr 04, 2010 6:06 pm

That's a really impressive specimen of C. peruvianus monstrose... all the more impressive since it's also flowering, which is a bit uncommon in most monstrose cacti. I can certainly see how someone would want to buy it - it is an excellent specimen.

Do you have any idea how old it is?
Back to top Go down
chocolatecatt

PostSubject: Re: newbie here....what cacti is this????   Sun Apr 04, 2010 7:13 pm

Not sure how old it is....the house is about 30 years old so perhaps it's that old??? Though I thought they could grow up to 6 metres so perhaps it's not that old as it's only two'ish or it would be taller?
Back to top Go down
Lachy

Number of posts : 733
Registration date : 2008-04-05

PostSubject: Re: newbie here....what cacti is this????   Sun Apr 04, 2010 8:11 pm

Regular C. peruvianus grows pretty fast - for a cactus anyway - however monstrose forms tend to be significantly slower. At any rate, you've got a fine specimen on your hands.
Back to top Go down
mutant
Calm and Collected

Number of posts : 286
Registration date : 2010-01-10

PostSubject: Re: newbie here....what cacti is this????   Wed Apr 07, 2010 11:15 pm

Cereus peruvianus monstrosa along with couple of other cereus are the 3 main cacti seen in Greece....

Due to this very fact, I see this cactus more than any other, and there are pretty big specimens around my whole town. I would sell it with no second thoughts.

Must try and get photos of some of those specimens I am talking about
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: newbie here....what cacti is this????   

Back to top Go down

newbie here....what cacti is this????
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1