» Romanian Online Journal - Xerophilia
by eduart Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:25 am

» Problem with cacti
by nzivanovic Sun Aug 27, 2017 10:58 pm

» Free continual trading thread
by chris86 Mon Jun 12, 2017 3:54 pm

» Nooker gone aussie
by Jackdaripper Sat Jun 10, 2017 8:40 am

» Newbie here, received a few succulents as a gift. Would love some help identifying them so I can research how to care for them!
by SneakyCuttlefish Fri Jun 02, 2017 7:08 am

Share | 

Hypoaspis Miles

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
San Rainbow
Calm and Collected

Number of posts : 172
Registration date : 2008-04-21

PostSubject: Hypoaspis Miles   Tue Apr 29, 2008 7:18 pm

I have a little fungus gnat problem, I have re potted all my cacti (roots were washed thoroughly and left in sun for a couple of days) , put sticky traps around and added mineral rock to the surface but still haven't conquered them.

will Hypoaspis Miles (predator insect) damage the cacti once the larvae are eradicated?

will they be able to penetrate the soil with the thick layer of mineral rock I have put there?

will they attract other pests?

Cheers Smile
Back to top Go down
Hellonasty
Admin

Number of posts : 1824
Registration date : 2008-04-04

PostSubject: Re: Hypoaspis Miles   Wed Apr 30, 2008 3:24 pm

Hi San Rainbow.

I have used Hypos a few times for controlling fungus gnats with varying levels of sucess. To answer your questions the hypos will do no damage what so ever to your plants. They have no problem getting through the top layer of rock to the soil. I have no idea if they attract other pests I have had no problems with it.

Now a few things to note. The Hypos are not 100% effective at killing off gnats, gnats have a much more refined breeding cycle and it is possible for them reproduce faster than the mites will kill them off. That said Hypos will dramatically reduce the populations of fungus gnats but it will take about 2 weeks for them to get established and their numbers up.

It sounds like your taking the right steps so far. If you still have no sucess you may want to look at insecticides, yes they are chems buy they also work very well.
Back to top Go down

Hypoaspis Miles
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1