» Problem with cacti
by nzivanovic Sun Aug 27, 2017 10:58 pm

» Romanian Online Journal - Xerophilia
by eduart Fri Jun 30, 2017 6:56 am

» Free continual trading thread
by chris86 Mon Jun 12, 2017 3:54 pm

» Nooker gone aussie
by Jackdaripper Sat Jun 10, 2017 8:40 am

» Newbie here, received a few succulents as a gift. Would love some help identifying them so I can research how to care for them!
by SneakyCuttlefish Fri Jun 02, 2017 7:08 am

» What is it?
by SneakyCuttlefish Fri Jun 02, 2017 7:07 am

Share | 

Bug magnets!

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
cryptocarpa
Calm and Collected

Number of posts : 268
Registration date : 2009-03-14

PostSubject: Bug magnets!   Mon Jun 07, 2010 7:22 pm

Seems no matter what you do some plants just attract bugs. Like Super-Kabuto, that is almost tailor made to hide mealies.
Then there are the species that get mite really bad like L.diffusa seems to get them worse than L. williamsii. On that note does anyone have a good mite cure? Up till now I have just sprayed them off with a jet of water but they look to be building up a bit at the moment.
This species below always gets the mealies too. From memory it is Eriocyse islayensis v. copiapoides(can't be bothered checking the spelling). It does look like a copiapoa though.
Does anyone else have any bug prone plants?
Back to top Go down
Lachy

Number of posts : 733
Registration date : 2008-04-05

PostSubject: Re: Bug magnets!   Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:11 pm

I find both pachanoi and bridgesii get snailed a fair bit, nearly always at the growing point. A similar thing happens to a couple of opuntiads that I grow. I've had Melocactus that gets mealey all the time, and there's a particular Rebutia... maybe albiflora? that seems to go brown and shrivels up at the slightest provocation and I suspect some sort of bug is the cause. Otherwise, most of my plants are reasonably hardy.
Back to top Go down
TasV

Number of posts : 145
Registration date : 2010-03-12

PostSubject: Re: Bug magnets!   Mon Jun 07, 2010 10:34 pm

My Mam. rhodantha ssp. pringlei gets mealys too.. they only seem to go for the ones with the longest interlocking spines for me My Rebutia albuflora seems pretty hardy so far.. got hit by a -1 the other night and came through smiling... My opuntia microdasys alba seems to cop it from the red sprider
Back to top Go down
Hellonasty
Admin

Number of posts : 1824
Registration date : 2008-04-04

PostSubject: Re: Bug magnets!   Tue Jun 08, 2010 10:44 am

Hehe bug magnets, I like the concept and think you're on to something.

I have found all Astrophytum with the white flecking attract a white soft scale. I have heard it called cotton scale and they look similar to and can be mistaken for mealy bugs (they are in the same family). Regular treatment for mealy kills off the adults but the eggs remain making them difficult to fully remove. Not as destructive as mealy and reproduce slower.

Lophs most definitely attract mites, they won't usually kill the plants but leave them scarred and it looks horrific. I had a heap of plants attacked a while ago. I have posted this elsewhere but have found the best treatment is using sulphur, it stops the mites feeding and helps prevent any bacterial infections caused by the mites munching and breaking the skin. Since using sulphur I have had zero mite or infection problems on my lophs. I simply dust them once every few months. I guess I should add all my lophs are under cover and the skin never gets wet.

My Cacti Blog, please come visit me.

http://astrophytum-and-friends.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down
cryptocarpa
Calm and Collected

Number of posts : 268
Registration date : 2009-03-14

PostSubject: Re: Bug magnets!   Tue Jun 08, 2010 4:57 pm

That's interesting what you say about the sulphur HN I have never heard it before but it makes a lot of sense about the infection. I found your other post and see you are talking about dusting sulphur? How do you apply it?
And thanks for the good advice.
Back to top Go down
Lachy

Number of posts : 733
Registration date : 2008-04-05

PostSubject: Re: Bug magnets!   Tue Jun 08, 2010 5:03 pm

I like that idea for the sulfur too... I've got some tomato dust here; from memory it's mostly sulfur and copper oxychloride so it might be a good general purpose "loph dust" to deal with mites and orange rot.
Back to top Go down
AmnesiA

Number of posts : 134
Registration date : 2008-12-03

PostSubject: Re: Bug magnets!   Tue Jun 08, 2010 7:33 pm

HN I Cant remember where i heard this but im fairly sure the cottonbug which has kind of long white tendrils all over him is acctually a predator of mealys and will feed on them.

http://www.orchidgeeks.com/forum/attachments/orchid-pests-and-diseases/673d1171618109-is-this-a-mealy-bug-bug_2.jpg

http://www.sterlinginsectary.com/bene_mealybugdestroyer.html

Is this the fellow your thinking of? I've only found one of these once in my garden on a brom, I have footage of him cruising around at top speed on a bench from years and years ago. never seen one since. Now I know what they are id love to find em again.
Back to top Go down
mutant
Calm and Collected

Number of posts : 286
Registration date : 2010-01-10

PostSubject: Re: Bug magnets!   Wed Jun 09, 2010 2:33 am

We had a mite problem last august to september

lots of cacti people had damage and loss

some newbie lost a 500euro worth aztekium

I got it and eventually lost two dark/brown coloured gymnios, a turbinicarpus was damaged a lot but survived also took grafts. Coryphanthas also acted according to what I have read that they are more prone, it got bit marked, but it's growing and recently pupped.

I have also noted that since I regularly have some mealy in climbers, the flowers attract them, they sit on the stem, if they are a lot the bud might be aborted or not open. This happens on echinopsis and lately gymno flowers

Some mesembrianthemums also tend to attract mealy more, while others not at all, this has puzzled me...
Back to top Go down
TasV

Number of posts : 145
Registration date : 2010-03-12

PostSubject: Re: Bug magnets!   Sun Jun 13, 2010 11:47 am

Mealy bug predator: http://www.bugsforbugs.com.au/product/cryptolaemus

Spider mite predator: http://www.bugsforbugs.com.au/product/persimills-spider-mite-predator
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Bug magnets!   

Back to top Go down

Bug magnets!
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1