» Problem with cacti
by nzivanovic Sun Aug 27, 2017 10:58 pm

» Romanian Online Journal - Xerophilia
by eduart Fri Jun 30, 2017 6:56 am

» Free continual trading thread
by chris86 Mon Jun 12, 2017 3:54 pm

» Nooker gone aussie
by Jackdaripper Sat Jun 10, 2017 8:40 am

» Newbie here, received a few succulents as a gift. Would love some help identifying them so I can research how to care for them!
by SneakyCuttlefish Fri Jun 02, 2017 7:08 am

» What is it?
by SneakyCuttlefish Fri Jun 02, 2017 7:07 am

Share | 

Hey, it's Winter... what are you doing flowering now ??

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Navajoa

Number of posts : 599
Registration date : 2009-09-15

PostSubject: Hey, it's Winter... what are you doing flowering now ??    Sun Jun 27, 2010 11:45 am

So with the Sun out today, it was a good chance for a look around the greenhouse. And besides a Pseudolithos caput-viperae deciding it'd rather rot than sleep, all is looking pretty good. A few plants seem a bit confused though...
My seed grown Blossfeldia thinks it's time to start flowering...

Last edited by Navajoa on Mon Jun 28, 2010 11:03 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Navajoa

PostSubject: Re: Hey, it's Winter... what are you doing flowering now ??    Sun Jun 27, 2010 11:48 am

Turbinicarpus schmiedickeanus enjoying the first sunny day for a while...
Back to top Go down
Navajoa

PostSubject: Re: Hey, it's Winter... what are you doing flowering now ??    Sun Jun 27, 2010 11:52 am

Turbinicarpus jauernigii might have missed it's chance I think...

Back to top Go down
Navajoa

PostSubject: Re: Hey, it's Winter... what are you doing flowering now ??    Sun Jun 27, 2010 11:55 am

Mammillaria sanchez-mejoradae is a favorite Mamm and is always early to flower for me. Hopefully I'll see seed this year...

Back to top Go down
Navajoa

PostSubject: Re: Hey, it's Winter... what are you doing flowering now ??    Sun Jun 27, 2010 11:59 am

Turrbinicarpus (Pelecyphora) pseudopectinatus getting ready to put on its show. Tricky bit is to know when to give it that first water...too soon and you rot the plant, too late and the buds abort...aaargh!
Back to top Go down
Navajoa

PostSubject: Re: Hey, it's Winter... what are you doing flowering now ??    Sun Jun 27, 2010 12:02 pm

And even some of the youngsters are getting in on the act..
Turbinicarpus (Pelecyphora) valdezianus

Back to top Go down
Navajoa

PostSubject: Re: Hey, it's Winter... what are you doing flowering now ??    Sun Jun 27, 2010 12:08 pm

And finally a plant that seemed to start flowering in Winter. Fantastic spination on this one when you look up close too.....
Mammillaria perezdelarosae ssp andersonii

So what's going on with your plants at the moment ???
Back to top Go down
TasV

Number of posts : 145
Registration date : 2010-03-12

PostSubject: Re: Hey, it's Winter... what are you doing flowering now ??    Sun Jun 27, 2010 1:11 pm

That last Mam. is .... gorgeous I have seed of this I'm going to sow in spring Cool Can't wait for it now.

Only the Arizona snowcap and bocasana are flowering here today and the days are so short and sun is in short supply so this is about as far as they are opening Rolling Eyes:

Back to top Go down
Hellonasty
Admin

Number of posts : 1824
Registration date : 2008-04-04

PostSubject: Re: Hey, it's Winter... what are you doing flowering now ??    Mon Jun 28, 2010 2:28 am

That Mamm perez is awesome Nava Smile

My Cacti Blog, please come visit me.

http://astrophytum-and-friends.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down
Navajoa

PostSubject: Re: Hey, it's Winter... what are you doing flowering now ??    Mon Jun 28, 2010 11:06 am

Thanks guys, I've got another couple of very young seedlings coming on, so some day I hope to be able propagate this one, it's a spectacular form..
Good luck with your seed TasV...Nice pics too. I'm starting to think it's only white flowered Mamms that are early!
Back to top Go down
Darren
Calm and Collected

Number of posts : 352
Registration date : 2009-09-07

PostSubject: Re: Hey, it's Winter... what are you doing flowering now ??    Mon Jun 28, 2010 7:47 pm

still no camera so cant show pics but i had a couple of mamms flower & a rebutia is still going nuts with yellow at the moment.
Back to top Go down
Hellonasty
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Hey, it's Winter... what are you doing flowering now ??    Mon Jun 28, 2010 8:52 pm

I have lophs, turbs and Astros flowering?

Back to top Go down
TasV

PostSubject: Re: Hey, it's Winter... what are you doing flowering now ??    Mon Jun 28, 2010 9:35 pm

Navajoa wrote:

Good luck with your seed TasV...Nice pics too. I'm starting to think it's only white flowered Mamms that are early!

Thanks Nav... It's not just white flowered ones... I've got some sort of Mamm. labelled Mamm. elegans, syn albilinata, fauxiana (which I can't find a reference to anywhere... I thought it might have be haageana... don't think so now...), that has a nice row of pink buds all the way around due out in about a week. It has spination very similar to your Mamm. perezdelarosae too... the central points upwards instead and the radials are not so neat... will photograph it when it comes out.

EDIT: Also got one that looks something like Mamm. hernandezii (it isn't it though... spines are way too fine on mine.. another unknown Rolling Eyes) that has buds too.
Back to top Go down
mutant
Calm and Collected

Number of posts : 286
Registration date : 2010-01-10

PostSubject: Re: Hey, it's Winter... what are you doing flowering now ??    Fri Jul 02, 2010 8:36 pm

no it's not [winter] Razz

interestin tip on the turbini pseudopectinatus
Back to top Go down
Navajoa

PostSubject: Re: Hey, it's Winter... what are you doing flowering now ??    Fri Jul 02, 2010 8:45 pm

Sorry mutant, but we've had enough of our winter for a while so we're sending it your way !!
Back to top Go down
Hellonasty
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Hey, it's Winter... what are you doing flowering now ??    Sat Jul 03, 2010 12:30 am

Man this is really weird I have Blossfeldia about to flower too :S !!! So weird ???

Back to top Go down
Navajoa

PostSubject: Re: Hey, it's Winter... what are you doing flowering now ??    Sun Jul 11, 2010 2:38 pm

Some nice sunshine this morning...so Mammillaria sanchezmejoradae was in full flight ! Kickass little plant!

Back to top Go down
cactuscook

Number of posts : 737
Registration date : 2010-04-29

PostSubject: Re: Hey, it's Winter... what are you doing flowering now ??    Sun Jul 11, 2010 6:39 pm

My aztekium ritteri was flowering today.
Back to top Go down
TasV

PostSubject: Re: Hey, it's Winter... what are you doing flowering now ??    Sun Jul 11, 2010 9:50 pm

Navajoa wrote:
...so Mammillaria sanchezmejoradae was in full flight !

Rainy, windy, cloudy and cold here... cactus flowering but refusing to open Sad Is this one of your seed grown Sanchez. Nav? How old is it?
Back to top Go down
Navajoa

PostSubject: Re: Hey, it's Winter... what are you doing flowering now ??    Mon Jul 12, 2010 8:32 pm

Yes, TasV that one was seed grown and is about 4 years old I think. Pretty sure that it was from Vlado's seed and I ended up with 3 plants all told, so hopes are high to set seed this season !
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Hey, it's Winter... what are you doing flowering now ??    

Back to top Go down

Hey, it's Winter... what are you doing flowering now ??
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1