» Romanian Online Journal - Xerophilia
by eduart Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:25 am

» Problem with cacti
by nzivanovic Sun Aug 27, 2017 10:58 pm

» Free continual trading thread
by chris86 Mon Jun 12, 2017 3:54 pm

» Nooker gone aussie
by Jackdaripper Sat Jun 10, 2017 8:40 am

» Newbie here, received a few succulents as a gift. Would love some help identifying them so I can research how to care for them!
by SneakyCuttlefish Fri Jun 02, 2017 7:08 am

Share | 

Is this sunburn/disease please help.

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
agavewoman

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2010-08-25

PostSubject: Is this sunburn/disease please help.   Wed Aug 25, 2010 4:52 pm

I purchased these recently and within the first few days they got these marks. They were put at the front of my house near a brick wall and in full sun.

And this is my Hot lips succulent has it had to much rain or sunburn?

I have never grown any of these plants before and need all your help
I thank you in advance for any assistance you can give me.

And to everyone who has written anything on this forum - It is such a wealth of information
I have spent days reading everything, thank you, thank you, thank you! As stated, I have
never had the opportunity to grow succulents/cacti, but fell in love with the plants during trips to Texas/Mexico.

Back to top Go down
Hellonasty
Admin

Number of posts : 1824
Registration date : 2008-04-04

PostSubject: Re: Is this sunburn/disease please help.   Wed Aug 25, 2010 7:51 pm

Looking at your location and the fact they are new plants I would suggest this is sunburn. New plants regularly get sun damage for a few reasons. First, due to them coming from a location (nursery) where they were grown under shade cloth/in a green house. A less common is simply due to the plants position, if the plant was facing south for a season or two and now it is facing north the part that was not exposed to sun will be more susceptible to damage.

Cacti generally build up a tolerance quickly but too much too soon will cause this damage. Don't worry they should recover with no problems, just keep the affected areas dry for the next week or so.

P.S Welcome aboard Smile

HN

My Cacti Blog, please come visit me.

http://astrophytum-and-friends.blogspot.com/

Last edited by Hellonasty on Thu Aug 26, 2010 7:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
fruitbat

Number of posts : 17
Registration date : 2010-07-30

PostSubject: Re: Is this sunburn/disease please help.   Wed Aug 25, 2010 11:27 pm

Welcome agavewoman, you sound like me, read everything and thanks to wooddragon, here I am out of the shadows!

I have to agree 100% with HN. The Euphorbia (trigonis?) is definately suffering from sunburn and I recognise it from my own experience (the brown patches, 'scars', are probably there to stay unfortunately).

Glad to hear you are trying some Lithops. I love them. They take up very little room and there is such a variety in colours and patterns that it's very hard to get bored with them.
Back to top Go down
http://www.ozlithops.com
blowng
Calm and Collected

Number of posts : 256
Registration date : 2008-10-28

PostSubject: Re: Is this sunburn/disease please help.   Thu Aug 26, 2010 6:40 pm

Hi agavewoman i have some Euphorbia trigonis which like a bit of shade, maybe only morning to mid morning direct sunlight, and they stay green and keep their leaves at the tips... you could prune out your sunburnt stems ,as i see you have quite a clump in each pot... rabbit
Back to top Go down
terracottacactus

Number of posts : 40
Registration date : 2013-09-24

PostSubject: Re: Is this sunburn/disease please help.   Mon Oct 28, 2013 2:40 pm

If I can hijack and resurrect this old thread...
Finally getting the sun, and I've just gone outside for my morning hello to the cacti and have seen this...

This looks like sunburn to me but a second/more experienced opinion would be appreciated.  
" />

I'm not sure if this is sunburn or shrivel as it's an unrooted cutting that's pupping...
" />

And on my bridge (I'm not sure what this is, it's been growing these weird little brown scabs that if I pick off have no rot underneath, just look weird.

Last edited by terracottacactus on Thu Jan 30, 2014 7:36 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : spelling)
Back to top Go down
SneakyCuttlefish

Number of posts : 705
Registration date : 2012-12-11

PostSubject: Re: Is this sunburn/disease please help.   Mon Oct 28, 2013 9:42 pm

The top one looks like sunburn. The other two look a bit like a disease that I have noticed on tricho's in a few collections up this way. At best it develops little scabs from no where but at worst a black oozing rot is present under the scabs and spreads like wildfire over the plant. It only seems to effect tricho's and in particular TBM's. My personal theory is, its spread by some kind of sap sucking insect biting the skin. I'll post some pics tomorrow morning.

Number of posts : 137
Registration date : 2013-04-04

PostSubject: Re: Is this sunburn/disease please help.   Mon Oct 28, 2013 10:00 pm

The second one looks like it might recover with no damage, if it is sun damage. Something similar happened to my Echinocactus grusonii at the start of the season. Nearly every day it happened and it was fully recovered by the next day, all for it to happen again.
Back to top Go down
diddi

Number of posts : 124
Registration date : 2012-10-08

PostSubject: Re: Is this sunburn/disease please help.   Tue Oct 29, 2013 12:19 am

if you are new to these varieties, agavewoman, and do decide to prune the e. trigona as suggested watch out for the milky sap that will appear at any wound sites. all euphorbias are poisonous and rubbing your eye after gardening will be most unpleasant.

for what its worth, I use burnt branches/plants for growing new potential cuttings. they look ugly but usually serve a useful purpose hiding in the back of the greenhouse.
Back to top Go down
SneakyCuttlefish

PostSubject: Re: Is this sunburn/disease please help.   Tue Oct 29, 2013 11:07 am

These are lesions that appears for no reason. Sometimes accompanied by an oozing spot of black flesh and sometimes with nothing at all.  

TBM

These plants where suffering from a slight chemical burn when the disease set in and left huge unsightly scars all over them.
Cuzcoensis

Bridgesii

Fungal powders seem to treat the symptoms but wont cure the disease. Though it does go away in time. Its almost like an acne for cacti.

PostSubject: Re: Is this sunburn/disease please help.   Tue Oct 29, 2013 6:40 pm

Quote :
Its almost like an acne for cacti.
lol! 

Cheers for all the info Sneaky. Should I cover the Phyco0 with shade cloth or just leave it and hope it gets used to the sun? (This is it's first summer at my place in full sun)

The weird scabs are interesting, I read in Trout's cultivation guide about that insect that may be to blame, though who knows? It's a bit weird to look at but I think I'll just leave it and see what happens.
I'm more worried about the TBM shriveling up and dying. I don't think it's dropped roots yet and that pup keeps growing (I can see it get bigger almost every day). I'm trying to work out if I should graft it onto some Pere or just wait and watch...

I love that huge hairless loph pile I can see in the background. Can I ask you what type they are?

Cheers,
TC
Back to top Go down
SneakyCuttlefish

PostSubject: Re: Is this sunburn/disease please help.   Tue Oct 29, 2013 9:59 pm

Putting up some shade cloth will probably help it to adjust. Slowly is the key. I've also been reading Trouts notes lately, quite an interesting read. With the type of TBM you have, its been reported to be able to grow segments up to 15cm + long if kept in heavy shade. I think this will be my next experiment Smile 

As for the TBM, considering its throwing a pup I'd say its probably pretty healthy for now. The main head might be looking a bit sad as the plant could be putting energy into the new growth. TBM's are fairly resilient plants. The more you neglect them the better they seem to grow. For example, the large TBM in the picture was found in a dark wet back corner of an old nursery, with 80% of the total surface area covered in a white moss that is normally found on trees in the rainforest.

The loph is supposed to be a 30 year old L. Williamsii var. caespitosa. Though possible, I doubt it is that old as it has been grafted at some point in its life. At best I'd say its half the age that the original owner claimed it to be.

PostSubject: Re: Is this sunburn/disease please help.   Wed Oct 30, 2013 12:19 am

Here's a few pics of my TBM (there is no sign of roots at all). I'm thinking I'll just repot and leave on the window sill out of the full sun and see what happens.

" />

I guess I'll just have to watch and wait with this guy. Very Happy

Last edited by terracottacactus on Thu Jan 30, 2014 7:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
SneakyCuttlefish

PostSubject: Re: Is this sunburn/disease please help.   Wed Oct 30, 2013 1:18 pm

Its callused over ok and there doesn't seem to be any signs of disease. It can some times take months to through roots. If you a really keen to kick it along you can try a rooting powder maybe.

Number of posts : 61
Registration date : 2011-04-05

PostSubject: Re: Is this sunburn/disease please help.   Wed Oct 30, 2013 7:34 pm

Its a good idea to keep any cacti that you are rooting in at least part shade and this even more important for small cuttings like TBM. The Psycho0 certainly looks like sunburn and it could turn into the black oozing welts.
I have found that there are a number of things that will cause these welts. The first is Trich sprayed with a number of different chemicals and this can range from Natrasoap, Pyrethrum, Oil based sprays. even wetting agents and liquid fertilisers. Most of those can cause problems if they are sprayed in the heat of the day. The pre packaged sprays seem to be the worst and a I also believe stressed or dormant plants can suffer more. I have sprayed my Trich grafting stock a number of times with natrasoap because of bugs on the scions with no problems and then one time the whole lot ended up covered in welts oozing the black gunk. I have since sprayed them again with no problems. The only difference was it was the middle of winter and my grow room was only getting to 25deg max. scratch 

Cheers
Midlife
Back to top Go down
SneakyCuttlefish

PostSubject: Re: Is this sunburn/disease please help.   Wed Oct 30, 2013 8:39 pm

I agree. I treated my plants with hitman insecticidal soap. Did a number on the bugs but my trichos coped it too. The interesting part is I have had this black ooze issue for a year or so now and only got it after accepting a plant from another collector that had a tiny little spot on it. I've always wondered if it could possibly be a virus that is spread by insect bites and only becomes active when the plant is stressed or dormant.

Sometimes I really wish I had access to a well stocked laboratory and a couple of scientists.

PostSubject: Re: Is this sunburn/disease please help.   Thu Oct 31, 2013 2:34 am

Quote :
The Psycho0 certainly looks like sunburn and it could turn into the black oozing welts.
Ahhh! this is something I do not want!
I've been caught off guard (and have been happy until now) with our recent heat midlife, and was really surprised at the sunburn - I assume this is what it is, I haven't spayed them with anything but the guy I got them off may have. I made a really make shift sun shelter for the cacti this morning, and will do a much more substantial one tomorrow, fingers crossed the burn heals up OK.  

Cheers for the advice on the TBM. Have moved him to a much better location. Now to play the waiting game...

I'm curious about this black gunk Sneaky, a couple of cuttings I have have little black dots on them. I will watch these cacti with interest (and trepidation). Will post back in a few months the results of this burn and if those black dots of mine have changed at all.

TC
Back to top Go down
Hellonasty
Admin

Number of posts : 1824
Registration date : 2008-04-04

PostSubject: Re: Is this sunburn/disease please help.   Thu Oct 31, 2013 12:21 pm

Yeah that black spot is a common problem on Trichocereus and is more prevalent on TBM, I'm not sure where it originates but I'm leaning towards a simple theory that it is genetic and is caused by our environment.

What I mean by this is cacti have evolved and adapted over 1000's of years of living in a harsh and dry environment, they have become extremely good at using water wisely and surviving in this environment. However they have never had to deal with extended periods of high humidity and have never had to adapt in this area, this results in the plants being sensitive to high humidity and over watering.

I have noted that Trichocereus grown in lower humidity and watered less lofted seldom get these black spots.

My Cacti Blog, please come visit me.

http://astrophytum-and-friends.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down
terracottacactus

PostSubject: Re: Is this sunburn/disease please help.   Sat Nov 09, 2013 2:50 am

Just a quick update, Ive had them all covered by shade cloth, and the yellow on the Psycho0 has almost completely cleared up (thanks for all the advice), though is yet to put down roots. The TBM I've dipped in rooting hormone, but I'm not going to touch again for at least a year. I've moved it to a shady spot, and it seems to be doing well.

I'll keep an eye on those weird black spots, I assume they are just from where the cacti spiked each other.

TC

Edit: All yellowing has gone, and this thing is shooting out roots like mad! I went to check it to see if it was OK and it's half filled the pot with roots.

The TBM has shot out some monster roots too, (I didn't wait for a year after all lol), not sure if the rooting hormone is responsible though...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Is this sunburn/disease please help.   

Back to top Go down

Is this sunburn/disease please help.
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1