HomeGalleryFAQRegisterLog in
Latest topics
» Is this Opuntia ficus-indica ?
by RoseM Mon Dec 04, 2017 12:31 pm

» Wanted: Pereskia Aculeata (Not Godseffiana)
by EightySeven Thu Nov 30, 2017 3:02 pm

» White spots on my cacti
by cactgustim Mon Nov 20, 2017 6:11 pm

» Romanian Online Journal - Xerophilia
by eduart Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:25 am

» Problem with cacti
by nzivanovic Sun Aug 27, 2017 10:58 pm

» Free continual trading thread
by chris86 Mon Jun 12, 2017 3:54 pm

Share | 

Consultation on implementation of model drug schedules for Commonwealth serious drug offences

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Hellonasty
Admin

Number of posts : 1824
Registration date : 2008-04-04

PostSubject: Re: Consultation on implementation of model drug schedules for Commonwealth serious drug offences    Fri Sep 20, 2013 4:08 pm

Yep heard the news, very good news!! I know a heap of people worked hard on this.
Now just to sort NSW govt out :/

My Cacti Blog, please come visit me.

http://astrophytum-and-friends.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down
SneakyCuttlefish

Number of posts : 705
Registration date : 2012-12-11

PostSubject: Re: Consultation on implementation of model drug schedules for Commonwealth serious drug offences    Sat Sep 21, 2013 11:51 am

Sooooooo, whats the go? Is everything, everywhere, illegal for no reason? Or has common sense seen through on this one?

Number of posts : 96
Registration date : 2012-12-04

PostSubject: Re: Consultation on implementation of model drug schedules for Commonwealth serious drug offences    Sat Sep 21, 2013 2:44 pm

SneakyCuttlefish wrote:
Sooooooo, whats the go? Is everything, everywhere, illegal for no reason? Or has common sense seen through on this one?
It is alleged by the legislators of the Bill that growing of cacti for ornamental purposes is not prohibited.

http://www.parliament.nsw.gov.au/Prod/parlment/publications.nsf/0/FE776A4E8ACC27E8CA257BEC000FF18F/$File/House+in+review+5556+.pdf

"Two other arguments against the bill were also put
forward. Firstly, that you cannot prevent people from
seeking illicit drugs and it would therefore be better to
regulate psychoactive substances so that people knew
what they taking. Secondly, that the bill may have
unintended consequences, specifically that growing plants
such as cacti which contain mescaline, a naturally
occurring psychedelic alkaloid, may be prohibited.

In reply, the Parliamentary Secretary stated that food
products with psychoactive substances are captured in
the bill and that because cacti are not sold for human
consumption they would not be prohibited."
Back to top Go down
Hellonasty
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Consultation on implementation of model drug schedules for Commonwealth serious drug offences    Sat Sep 21, 2013 9:00 pm

Just to clarify;

Federally the Criminal Code Amendment has been finalised. Not a single plant was added to the list. So as far as the federal law has juristrictuon all plants are unchanged.

NSW currently has a piece of legislation that will be determined in the coming months. This new bill is extremely broad and WILL as it currently stands make possession of our beloved cacti illegal. Lets not let them do this. Write to your local member today!!

As far as I'm aware no other states have anything pending.

HN

Back to top Go down
SneakyCuttlefish

Number of posts : 705
Registration date : 2012-12-11

PostSubject: Re: Consultation on implementation of model drug schedules for Commonwealth serious drug offences    Sun Sep 22, 2013 11:21 am

That's a relief. Even if they did make it all illegal I'd still keep them. Civil disobedience in protest. jocolor 

Calm and Collected

Number of posts : 218
Registration date : 2010-12-15

PostSubject: Re: Consultation on implementation of model drug schedules for Commonwealth serious drug offences    Sun Sep 22, 2013 2:07 pm

Hellonasty wrote:
Just to clarify;
NSW currently has a piece of legislation that will be determined in the coming months. This new bill is extremely broad and WILL as it currently stands make possession of our beloved cacti illegal. Lets not let them do this. Write to your local member today!!
HN
Pending? If it is The Drugs and Poisons amendment then it passed both houses in NSW earlier on in the week mate.
Back to top Go down
Hellonasty
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Consultation on implementation of model drug schedules for Commonwealth serious drug offences    Sun Sep 22, 2013 8:19 pm

I believe it is the drugs misuse and trafficking regulation

Back to top Go down
Eck

Number of posts : 96
Registration date : 2012-12-04

PostSubject: Re: Consultation on implementation of model drug schedules for Commonwealth serious drug offences    Mon Sep 23, 2013 11:25 am

Hellonasty wrote:
I believe it is the drugs misuse and trafficking regulation
It may be the same Bill - which allegedly adds a new section to the drugs misuse trafficking act.  If so, one would expect the question raised in parliament in respect of cactus growers and the assurance given would apply.  If there is any doubt, it may be worth contacting the MP who raised the cactus issue in parliament and asking what is their understanding.
Back to top Go down
Hellonasty
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Consultation on implementation of model drug schedules for Commonwealth serious drug offences    Mon Sep 23, 2013 11:40 am

Eck,

Yes it's the same.

Another clarification, It doesn't add a new section to the Act. A regulation is a piece of legislation that works in-conjunction with the act, using the same principles and can also modify certain parts of the act. However the reason they do it this way is that amendments to the regulation can be made quickly with authority from the minister only.

In other words by changing the regulation they shortcut the lengthy process involved in amending the Act and as a result can make new law quickly without great scrutiny.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Consultation on implementation of model drug schedules for Commonwealth serious drug offences    

Back to top Go down

Consultation on implementation of model drug schedules for Commonwealth serious drug offences
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2