» Problem with cacti
by nzivanovic Sun Aug 27, 2017 10:58 pm

» Romanian Online Journal - Xerophilia
by eduart Fri Jun 30, 2017 6:56 am

» Free continual trading thread
by chris86 Mon Jun 12, 2017 3:54 pm

» Nooker gone aussie
by Jackdaripper Sat Jun 10, 2017 8:40 am

» Newbie here, received a few succulents as a gift. Would love some help identifying them so I can research how to care for them!
by SneakyCuttlefish Fri Jun 02, 2017 7:08 am

» What is it?
by SneakyCuttlefish Fri Jun 02, 2017 7:07 am

Share | 

re-potting

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
sacred pedro

Number of posts : 53
Registration date : 2008-04-30

PostSubject: re-potting   Tue May 06, 2008 5:46 pm

just wandering if it's safe to re-pot a couple of trich's this time of year? or would i be best off waiting till spring? i have quite a large peruvianus that is in a very small pot and has started to grow roots out of the draining holes! also would it be ok to repot well calloused 20cm tip cuttings?
peace
Back to top Go down
trigonus
Admin & Cactus Fiend

Number of posts : 879
Registration date : 2008-01-23

PostSubject: Re: re-potting   Tue May 06, 2008 5:59 pm

The answer to this is simple. Wait until spring.

slim6y
Calm and Collected

Number of posts : 176
Registration date : 2008-04-26

PostSubject: Re: re-potting   Tue May 06, 2008 6:10 pm

How does that go for us folk in the tropics Trig? The winter here is more like the cactus' usual temperatures (I'd think - maybe not as hot). I assume it's best to wait till the dead of winter (around July) for repotting here... would that make sense?

Winter here can range from 18 - 32'C and spring 22 - 35'C with humidity rising past 80%.

Lucky the rains don't start till January.
Back to top Go down
trigonus
Admin & Cactus Fiend

PostSubject: Re: re-potting   Tue May 06, 2008 6:30 pm

Yeah anytime is probably ok for you tropical dwellers. Lucky.

In Melbourne though, at this time of year, I wouldn't even really consider it.

sacred pedro

Number of posts : 53
Registration date : 2008-04-30

PostSubject: Re: re-potting   Tue May 06, 2008 6:41 pm

cheers trig, spring it will be.
peace
Back to top Go down
San Rainbow
Calm and Collected

Number of posts : 172
Registration date : 2008-04-21

PostSubject: Re: re-potting   Wed May 07, 2008 5:14 pm

shit I just repoted all by cacti, what might happen to cacti if repoted now?
Back to top Go down
trigonus
Admin & Cactus Fiend

PostSubject: Re: re-potting   Wed May 07, 2008 5:36 pm

Don't freak out, they should be fine. Basically they wont have very much (probably none) root growth until next spring (again depends what climate you live, I suspect you are a southerner), this can mean extra area for pests and diseases to get in if overwatered etc. and also means the cacti will tend to be a bit unsteady in the pot, but it won't kill then unless the roots were badly damaged.

As a side note, I encourage members to state their location as this helps others help the person asking the questions. Climate plays a very important role with the cultivation of cacti in Australia. My climate may be death to the cacti in your climate, as an example. In this case it really doesn't pay to be careful/paranoid. All of our members are honest and trustworthy anyway and as a team we try to maintain this ethos on our forum.

Location doesn't have be as detailed as suburb or anything, you can even just put something like, for example these are my min-max temps 'Coastal NSW 0C - 40C', all this means is other members etc. have a better idea of other members climate and makes it easier to respond with helpful advice.

Sorry about the long rant.

San Rainbow
Calm and Collected

Number of posts : 172
Registration date : 2008-04-21

PostSubject: Re: re-potting   Wed May 07, 2008 6:14 pm

trigonus wrote:
Don't freak out, they should be fine. Basically they wont have very much (probably none) root growth until next spring (again depends what climate you live, I suspect you are a southerner), this can mean extra area for pests and diseases to get in if overwatered etc. and also means the cacti will tend to be a bit unsteady in the pot, but it won't kill then unless the roots were badly damaged.

As a side note, I encourage members to state their location as this helps others help the person asking the questions. Climate plays a very important role with the cultivation of cacti in Australia. My climate may be death to the cacti in your climate, as an example. In this case it really doesn't pay to be careful/paranoid. All of our members are honest and trustworthy anyway and as a team we try to maintain this ethos on our forum.

Location doesn't have be as detailed as suburb or anything, you can even just put something like, for example these are my min-max temps 'Coastal NSW 0C - 40C', all this means is other members etc. have a better idea of other members climate and makes it easier to respond with helpful advice.

Sorry about the long rant.

no dont be sorry at all! any info is gold Very Happy

(trichocereus species and TBM's)

"root damage", the roots were all matted up in small pots so I kinda scrunched them up to loosen them a bit, should I have done this?
I scrunched them as gently as I could, could this still damage them?
I have built a tarp cover to protect them from the rain, they still get plenty of sun.

afro
Back to top Go down
calycium

Number of posts : 416
Registration date : 2008-04-06

PostSubject: Re: re-potting   Wed May 07, 2008 6:35 pm

I planted some of my species up - but they don't get rained on, and I scooped them out with a spoon so I didn't disturb the roots. It's cold where I am, but I don't have any concerns. IF I had pulled them all apart and repotted them quite agresively, then it would have been a concern. So as Trig says, it all depends on where ya are, and what conditions you place them under.
Back to top Go down
Banjankri

Number of posts : 7
Registration date : 2008-03-21

PostSubject: Re: re-potting   Mon May 19, 2008 8:50 pm

Just planted a heap out into the garden this arvo, Knocked up a lil arid zone type garden, will post pics soon) Mainly trichs, mammillarias and some other small buttons i need identifying.. Temps here are between 0 and 23C atm.

Most of the root balls were loosened as they were all quite pot bound. One trich sat without a pot, roots exposed for a week before going in the ground.

What problems if any might i need to watch for given this situation?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: re-potting   

Back to top Go down

re-potting
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1