» Problem with cacti
by nzivanovic Sun Aug 27, 2017 10:58 pm

» Romanian Online Journal - Xerophilia
by eduart Fri Jun 30, 2017 6:56 am

» Free continual trading thread
by chris86 Mon Jun 12, 2017 3:54 pm

» Nooker gone aussie
by Jackdaripper Sat Jun 10, 2017 8:40 am

» Newbie here, received a few succulents as a gift. Would love some help identifying them so I can research how to care for them!
by SneakyCuttlefish Fri Jun 02, 2017 7:08 am

» What is it?
by SneakyCuttlefish Fri Jun 02, 2017 7:07 am

Share | 

Cactus needs urgent help! Please advise.

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Kaktus

Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2012-01-08

PostSubject: Cactus needs urgent help! Please advise.   Sun Jan 08, 2012 6:55 am

I hope someone on the forum might be able to offer some advice in saving a small indoor cactus.

About two months ago, the cactus fell over because it had become rotten at the base. After looking on the internet for advice on reviving it, I cut off the rotten part of the base and stabilised it in a mixture of sand and potting soil.

The cactus seemed to be doing quite well until two days ago when it fell over again. I noticed only limited evidence of roots--only 2mm long at best. The stem is now translucent and soft. The prickly top is still green and hard to the touch. Water has begun dripping from the bottom of the base of the stem.

Do you think the cactus can be saved, and if so what would be the best course of action to save/regrown it?

Here are some images of the cactus:

Showing the (still?) healthy top:
i46.servimg.com/u/f46/17/16/83/60/cactus10.jpg

As before, showing the top:
i46.servimg.com/u/f46/17/16/83/60/cactus11.jpg

Showing the rotten stem:
i46.servimg.com/u/f46/17/16/83/60/cactus12.jpg

Could the small round clusters at the top be removed and successfully regrown?
Back to top Go down
Navajoa

Number of posts : 599
Registration date : 2009-09-15

PostSubject: Re: Cactus needs urgent help! Please advise.   Sun Jan 08, 2012 2:13 pm

Definitely remove the offsets - the main stem is a goner and will just infect them if your leave it too long. When you remove them, sit them on some new DRY mix/sand. Don't keep them in too hot a positon as you won't want to water them until they've rooted down. You can even try a few without putting them on the mix, just sit them on a shelf somwhere and let them produce roots.

Good luck !
Back to top Go down
Hellonasty
Admin

Number of posts : 1824
Registration date : 2008-04-04

PostSubject: Re: Cactus needs urgent help! Please advise.   Mon Jan 09, 2012 7:52 am

Good advice from Navajoa, I would do the same thing.

It looks to me like you have several Mamms grafted to a Hylocereus stock which has rotted. Just take all the pups off as suggested above and grow them out, they will grow no problem.

My Cacti Blog, please come visit me.

http://astrophytum-and-friends.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down
Kaktus

Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2012-01-08

PostSubject: Re: Cactus needs urgent help! Please advise.   Wed Jan 11, 2012 12:08 am

Thanks Navajoa and Hellonasty for the advice. I cut the Mamms off yesterday and there was no sign of rot in the upper part. I will leave them on a shelf until they show signs of rooting.

How long would you expect it to take before the roots start to grow?
Back to top Go down
Lachy

Number of posts : 733
Registration date : 2008-04-05

PostSubject: Re: Cactus needs urgent help! Please advise.   Wed Jan 11, 2012 7:01 am

There's no definite answer to that question. Temperature seems to have a lot to do with it; in warmer months my cuttings and offsets always seem to root a lot quicker than during the cooler part of the year. To assist with process you may wish to try using a rooting hormone powder.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Cactus needs urgent help! Please advise.   

Back to top Go down

Cactus needs urgent help! Please advise.
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1