» Romanian Online Journal - Xerophilia
by eduart Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:25 am

» Problem with cacti
by nzivanovic Sun Aug 27, 2017 10:58 pm

» Free continual trading thread
by chris86 Mon Jun 12, 2017 3:54 pm

» Nooker gone aussie
by Jackdaripper Sat Jun 10, 2017 8:40 am

» Newbie here, received a few succulents as a gift. Would love some help identifying them so I can research how to care for them!
by SneakyCuttlefish Fri Jun 02, 2017 7:08 am

Share | 

Problem Parasite killing my cacti

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
IXOXI
Cereus about Cacti

Number of posts : 521
Registration date : 2011-12-08

PostSubject: Problem Parasite killing my cacti   Sat Dec 22, 2012 6:47 pm

Hi everyone, a couple of my friends and I have gotten this thing that looks like brown scale, but has this little thread that goes into the cacti from the center of the underside of the round scale thing.
Here is a couple of close up photos of these nasty spot things after pulling them off the cacti, and 2 of our cacti that are infected.
If anyone knows anything about these or how to handle them, it would really be appreciated. So far the only thing that we have been able to do is pull them off as they appear, but they keep leaving pits in the cacti.

Back to top Go down
http://www.cacticube.com
SnowFella
Calm and Collected

Number of posts : 218
Registration date : 2010-12-15

PostSubject: Re: Problem Parasite killing my cacti   Sat Dec 22, 2012 7:25 pm

That somehow looks more fungal to me than scale, or some kind or parasite growing and sending "roots" into the plant.
Back to top Go down
Charlie

Number of posts : 118
Registration date : 2008-09-14

PostSubject: Re: Problem Parasite killing my cacti   Sun Dec 23, 2012 12:20 am

I don't know.

One guess would be that its fungal. Maybe that bit underneath is some kind of fruiting body.

I wondered a few things. Do they all develop in the same way. What happens if you leave one for a while - do they keep growing or change in some way. And what's inside them?

The other crazy notion that i had was that it was insect damage. Possibly an insect with a piercing mouthpart stabbed the plant leaving the pointed bit of scar tissue. Maybe a gall.

Like I said I really don't know! Maybe checking them out under a higher magnification would reveal something.

I think the Sydney Botanic Gardens still has a plant pathology service. You send in a sick plant or whatever and they id the problem. At least I think that's how it goes Don't know what it would cost though. But if all else fails they may be able to help.

cheers

Last edited by Charlie on Sun Dec 23, 2012 12:24 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
IXOXI
Cereus about Cacti

PostSubject: Re: Problem Parasite killing my cacti   Sun Dec 23, 2012 12:23 am

The spots seem to start as a reddening, like you see in the photo of the Astrophytum, and then is scabs over, flat, but then the scab gets raised up and hardens. It seems to happen most to my Trichs and Hylocereus, while my mate has had most of his Astros and Sulcorebutias hit hard with it.
Back to top Go down
Charlie

PostSubject: Re: Problem Parasite killing my cacti   Sun Dec 23, 2012 1:24 am

It looks to me as though there are a few of those pink marks, and a few of the scabs but not so many in-between, transitional marks. Which suggests to me that there was a relatively quick change from one stage to the next. Do the scabby patches keep growing.. The big ones in the picture all look about the same size. However the the pink patches appear to be in different stages of development. That might mean that the big scabby patches are in, or near, some end stage of development.

All that, the discoloration and the similar structures all make me wonder if it isn't fungal. Also fungal leaf spots are really common! But I'm really only guessing and it is late! And that pointy bit is weird. Its probably not fungi or gall wasps at all!

Some time ago when I was in uni, I did a couple of units on fungi, particularly fungus diseases in plants. So I have this Enormous Textbook on the subject. I'll have a squizz at it tomorrow.

cheers

Last edited by Charlie on Sun Dec 23, 2012 1:28 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : spellin)
Back to top Go down
IXOXI
Cereus about Cacti

PostSubject: Re: Problem Parasite killing my cacti   Sun Dec 23, 2012 12:54 pm

Appreciate it. This problem is disfiguring a fair number of cacti and really needs a good solution. The sulcos that my one mate has, were getting chucked, but then he stopped after binning more then 20 old mature plants.
Back to top Go down
Charlie

PostSubject: Re: Problem Parasite killing my cacti   Sun Dec 23, 2012 1:35 pm

Not much luck with the book so far. I did see in another source some more about galls - they can be caused by a wide variety of things including bacteria , fungi and a host of bugs. The galls themselves can appear in a wide variety of forms including scab like bits. The regular shape of the things is kind of suggestive there.

But im shooting in the dark. If youre really concerned it might be an idea to get it checked out by a pathologist. Out of curiosity I checked out the Syd Bot gardens plant disease service, its $125 for an id. If you went ways with someone it might not too costly. Possibly cheaper than losing plants and trying out various sprays etc.

Maybe its a new disease to Australia. If you rang a Botany dept at some uni and told them you had a weird disease on a cactus that no one can id, they might be interested. When I was at the uNE people would occasionally wander in and ask the staff about things. They didn't seem to mind.

I'll keep an eye out for anything of use (hopefully), but I think its a job for an expert. , I'm curious about this one. Maybe it'll spread.

cheers

Back to top Go down
powerinformation

Number of posts : 25
Registration date : 2014-03-17

PostSubject: Re: Problem Parasite killing my cacti   Tue Apr 08, 2014 10:49 pm

Do scale not have this little "roots"

Last month I removed a bunch of whiter versions of these from my cacti.
It was like removing an inverted thorn similar to your photos and has left pits in my cacti.

Did yours recover?
Are these diffferent to scale?
Back to top Go down
Hellonasty
Admin

Number of posts : 1824
Registration date : 2008-04-04

PostSubject: Re: Problem Parasite killing my cacti   Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:16 am

Certainly look like scale to me.

My Cacti Blog, please come visit me.

http://astrophytum-and-friends.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down