» Romanian Online Journal - Xerophilia
by eduart Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:25 am

» Problem with cacti
by nzivanovic Sun Aug 27, 2017 10:58 pm

» Free continual trading thread
by chris86 Mon Jun 12, 2017 3:54 pm

» Nooker gone aussie
by Jackdaripper Sat Jun 10, 2017 8:40 am

» Newbie here, received a few succulents as a gift. Would love some help identifying them so I can research how to care for them!
by SneakyCuttlefish Fri Jun 02, 2017 7:08 am

Share | 

Help to graft crested peyote to san pedro

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
SneakyCuttlefish

Number of posts : 705
Registration date : 2012-12-11

PostSubject: Help to graft crested peyote to san pedro   Sat Jan 05, 2013 12:51 pm

Hi everyone,
I was given a bunch of little Peyote's the other day and I believe one of them may be cresting. I'm interested in grafting it to an old Pedro I have. Do I need to trim the sides of the Pedro to make a pyramid or can I just bung it straight onto a flat cut?

If I cut just the tip of the peyote off and leave most the subterranean stem in tact will the peyote roots throw new heads?

Also will the graft except if its just the tip of the peyote?

Its only about the size of a ten cent coin. So I'm not sure how such a small plant will handle a butchering.
Back to top Go down
cryptocarpa
Calm and Collected

Number of posts : 268
Registration date : 2009-03-14

PostSubject: Re: Help to graft crested peyote to san pedro   Sun Jan 06, 2013 7:31 am

I would recommend waiting till its a bit bigger. That way you can make two or more grafts by chopping it up, you'll double your chance of success, or half your chance of failure. It is best if the scion is more than a couple of cubic cms for that kind of permanent stock grafting. Just makes it much easier to handle and more likely to survive.
I would also say that you should 'pencil' the end of the stock and then cut it where it is the same width as the scion. Otherwise when the cuts dry out, they start to shrink and move and they can push apart the graft union before it forms properly. If you pencil it, it will mean that the attachments elestics are pulling more downwards as oppose to out from the center.
If it is a crest it is special and you should do a bunch of practice grafts first to get the hang of it. Even the best grafter started out with a high rate of attrition.
Back to top Go down
SneakyCuttlefish

Number of posts : 705
Registration date : 2012-12-11

PostSubject: Re: Help to graft crested peyote to san pedro   Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:15 pm

Thanks cryptocarpa!
Always wondered why they did that to the end of the stock. I figured I'd better not rush it so I had a go at grafting a bridgesii 'monstrose' to the pedro instead.

I'll take your advice and have a few goes with some other species first.

PostSubject: Re: Help to graft crested peyote to san pedro   

Back to top Go down

Help to graft crested peyote to san pedro
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1