HomeGalleryFAQRegisterLog in
Latest topics
» Romanian Online Journal - Xerophilia
by eduart Fri Jun 30, 2017 6:56 am

» Free continual trading thread
by chris86 Mon Jun 12, 2017 3:54 pm

» Nooker gone aussie
by Jackdaripper Sat Jun 10, 2017 8:40 am

» Newbie here, received a few succulents as a gift. Would love some help identifying them so I can research how to care for them!
by SneakyCuttlefish Fri Jun 02, 2017 7:08 am

» What is it?
by SneakyCuttlefish Fri Jun 02, 2017 7:07 am

» Hi from Melbourne
by jennym Mon May 29, 2017 6:38 pm

Share | 

Seed Propagating help

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
SneakyCuttlefish

Number of posts : 705
Registration date : 2012-12-11

PostSubject: Seed Propagating help   Mon Sep 23, 2013 8:19 pm

Hi guys,

Desperately need some advice with a recent planting. I planted 1500 seeds into a hot box and placed them under my light. Unfortunately I was in a hurry on Friday and I either didn't sterilize the soil properly or I didn't allow for the soil to drain. By Sunday I had patches of mold appearing on the soil. I took the lid off today and placed them in the sun to try to kill the mold and allow a bit of moisture out.

Will that work and if not what could I do to kill of the mold without effecting the seeds?
Back to top Go down
Cereoid

Number of posts : 137
Registration date : 2013-04-04

PostSubject: Re: Seed Propagating help   Mon Sep 23, 2013 10:14 pm

What are they? My only experience is with Hylocereus so if they are a desert species then my input might not be very useful.
I don't know much but a good fungicide might work. I like sulfur but something water soluble might be better in this instant. If you have mold then another serious danger is attack by insects, so if you cannot get rid of the mold then make sure to keep it sealed when you're not looking.
Back to top Go down
Hellonasty
Admin

Number of posts : 1824
Registration date : 2008-04-04

PostSubject: Re: Seed Propagating help   Mon Sep 23, 2013 10:39 pm

3 options;

1. Mix up some fungicide in a spray bottle spray them and then let them dry out completely in the open air, avoid the sun. Once the soil is completely dry you can apply 'some' water and start the germination process again.

2. Take the top layer off, making sure you collect all the seeds. Wash the seeds and soil in a diluted mix of white spirits (metho) for about 5min. Dry seeds and soil and start again.

3. Keep in open air and allow to dry completely, water and start again (probably won't work).

Personally I would do option 2
HN

My Cacti Blog, please come visit me.

http://astrophytum-and-friends.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down
SneakyCuttlefish

Number of posts : 705
Registration date : 2012-12-11

PostSubject: Re: Seed Propagating help   Tue Sep 24, 2013 10:25 am

Thanks for the info guys. They are a mix of loph and mams so collecting the seed is almost impossible. I sprayed them very lightly with a weak mix of copper yesterday and there seems to be no more mold at this point. I'm a bit reluctant to allow them to dry out because some have germinated already but if worst comes to worst I can always remove those ones and let the soil dry out properly.

Admin

PostSubject: Re: Seed Propagating help   Tue Sep 24, 2013 11:11 am

Yeah If some have germinated that makes it more difficult, seedlings will survive if you replant them early just keep the roots moist.

Back to top Go down
cryptocarpa
Calm and Collected

Number of posts : 268
Registration date : 2009-03-14

PostSubject: Re: Seed Propagating help   Tue Sep 24, 2013 4:32 pm

Some moulds are not a problem for seedlings others are fatal. I often see furry mould on seedling pots and sometimes smell mildew but I don't treat them unless the seedlings are turning to mush, often they grow healthy even with the mould.
Back to top Go down
Hellonasty
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Seed Propagating help   Tue Sep 24, 2013 9:12 pm

I find the fury stuff stops the seeds from germinating. Greenish coloured mould seems to not cause too many problems.

Back to top Go down
cryptocarpa
Calm and Collected

Number of posts : 268
Registration date : 2009-03-14

PostSubject: Re: Seed Propagating help   Tue Sep 24, 2013 11:24 pm

Yeh now I think about it your right Hn. The seeds won't germinate as good when that mould is present, I had always just assumed it was the seed had gone off and the unviable ones were the source of the mould.
Back to top Go down
Eck

Number of posts : 96
Registration date : 2012-12-04

PostSubject: Re: Seed Propagating help   Wed Sep 25, 2013 12:55 pm

Hellonasty wrote:
I find the fury stuff stops the seeds from germinating. Greenish coloured mould seems to not cause too many problems.
The green may simply be algae.  White/furry mould on the seed may be the seed rotting within the casing as a result of being too wet/humid for too long.  Similarly if the seed is too old.
Back to top Go down
Navajoa

Number of posts : 599
Registration date : 2009-09-15

PostSubject: Re: Seed Propagating help   Wed Sep 25, 2013 12:59 pm

I wouldn't panic and sadly I think by putting them in the sun to "dry out" your probably killed anything that was trying to come up. The fine roots the seedlings have initially won't take any dry heat. Would be handy to see what the mould was if you can get a pic? As Crypto said, sometimes it can be pretty benign and the germinating seed will easily outpace the mould's formation...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Seed Propagating help   

Back to top Go down

Seed Propagating help
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1