» Problem with cacti
by nzivanovic Sun Aug 27, 2017 10:58 pm

» Romanian Online Journal - Xerophilia
by eduart Fri Jun 30, 2017 6:56 am

» Free continual trading thread
by chris86 Mon Jun 12, 2017 3:54 pm

» Nooker gone aussie
by Jackdaripper Sat Jun 10, 2017 8:40 am

» Newbie here, received a few succulents as a gift. Would love some help identifying them so I can research how to care for them!
by SneakyCuttlefish Fri Jun 02, 2017 7:08 am

» What is it?
by SneakyCuttlefish Fri Jun 02, 2017 7:07 am

Share | 

What the heck is this? Please help me label new arrivals...

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
terracottacactus

Number of posts : 40
Registration date : 2013-09-24

PostSubject: What the heck is this? Please help me label new arrivals...    Tue Oct 22, 2013 2:04 am

Hi all,
Can someone please help me figure out what the heck this is? A friend gave it to me, and I have no idea:

It has weird almost wooden growths and roots sticking out if it, really weird but interesting...

Also, I'd appreciate some help confirming (or correcting) some IDs of stuff I've got in the garden:

Trichocereus cuzcoensis (??) Found at Bunnings, no idea what it is.

Last edited by terracottacactus on Thu Jan 30, 2014 7:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
rickyscactus

Number of posts : 118
Registration date : 2013-08-22

PostSubject: Re: What the heck is this? Please help me label new arrivals...    Tue Oct 22, 2013 6:43 am

Hi TC,

They look like,
The top Austrocylindro Crest/monstrose.
2nd from bottom Azureocereus Hertlingianus.
Ehe bottom Trichocereus bridgesii monstrose, i wouldn't worry about it shooting new growth, it usually grows in segments about 50mm-100mm long, then more will grow off that.

Rickyscactus
Back to top Go down
Hellonasty
Admin

Number of posts : 1824
Registration date : 2008-04-04

PostSubject: Re: What the heck is this? Please help me label new arrivals...    Tue Oct 22, 2013 11:23 am

Hi terracottacactus,

Some interesting plants you have there !!

1/ I think Ricky is on the right track, but has made a mistake with the species name, I will clarify;

Austrocylindropuntia - is the correct name for approximately 11 or 12 plants that don't fit into the             species Opuntia, they were once included but have since been identified as a separate species. I'm not good with the Opuntia's so will leave the Id to someone better informed.

I think Ricky has made the mistake due to some sellers on ebay leaving out the word "Opuntia" due to the plant being classed as a weed and hence illegal to sell.  

2/ This one has me very confused, well your label is what has me confused, both SS01 and SS02 are both variants of Trichocereus Bridgesii so that would make it impossible get a Peruvianus from crossing two Bridgesii's. I'm not sure where you got the ID from but I would suggest you don't trust that person/company again. Additionally unless it was seed grown from a reliable source it most definitely is not from Sacred Succulents (hence the SS in the name, google search them). Difficult to Id without better info and a better picture, however looks like a Trichocereus Bridgesii.

My Cacti Blog, please come visit me.

http://astrophytum-and-friends.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down
terracottacactus

Number of posts : 40
Registration date : 2013-09-24

PostSubject: Re: What the heck is this? Please help me label new arrivals...    Tue Oct 22, 2013 2:35 pm

Interesting stuff guys, thank you for the input.

Cheers for the info hellonasty.

Goes to show, you can spend all day on the net trying to work it out, but asking is always the best way.

Thanks for the help too RC, and for putting my mind at rest. In the two weeks since I took this pic the pup has doubled in size. Truly fascinating watching it grow so quickly. This has been a very interesting morning for me, I'm starting to think I should put pics of some of the rest of my collection to make sure I have the labels correct....
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What the heck is this? Please help me label new arrivals...    

Back to top Go down

What the heck is this? Please help me label new arrivals...
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1