HomeGalleryFAQRegisterLog in
Latest topics
» Romanian Online Journal - Xerophilia
by eduart Fri Jun 30, 2017 6:56 am

» Free continual trading thread
by chris86 Mon Jun 12, 2017 3:54 pm

» Nooker gone aussie
by Jackdaripper Sat Jun 10, 2017 8:40 am

» Newbie here, received a few succulents as a gift. Would love some help identifying them so I can research how to care for them!
by SneakyCuttlefish Fri Jun 02, 2017 7:08 am

» What is it?
by SneakyCuttlefish Fri Jun 02, 2017 7:07 am

» Hi from Melbourne
by jennym Mon May 29, 2017 6:38 pm

Share | 

Watering question

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Walker87
Calm and Collected

Number of posts : 298
Registration date : 2014-03-01

PostSubject: Watering question    Mon Sep 29, 2014 11:48 am

Hey folks!
Have a question about watering bought about because one of my stenocactus aborted flowering and I am wondering if this is due to lack of water and so am wondering if this could be affecting the others as well.
Generally speaking I water the ones who like a bit extra to drink every 7-10 days (weather is also a factor)
The ones who don't drink as much every 14 days or so, again depending on the weather.

I use a few different substrate mixes but basically they are mostly scoria, sand, pumice, pebbles and a very small amount of organic matter (sifted potting mix, coco coir)

If the weather is warm and windy which it has been the pots dry out in as little as 2 days.
Everything is growing and growing quite quickly, new spines and flowers are popping up every day almost.
Just wondering whether it would be a good idea to give them a little more water and take advantage of their growth spurt or should I refrain and not run the risk of drowning them.
I haves quite a few mexican and Chilean cacti which I am very hesitant to over water.

Thoughts?
Back to top Go down
SneakyCuttlefish

Number of posts : 705
Registration date : 2012-12-11

PostSubject: Re: Watering question    Tue Sep 30, 2014 3:34 pm

I have mixed opinions on which/when and how to water and they are forever evolving from season to season. Mostly I take a blanket approach to the bulk of my collection but am more specific with my favourites.

When it is warm and everything is growing quickly I will wait 2-3 days after the pots dry out to give them their next drink. That way they get a little bit of water stress but not enough to effect their growth rate.

The loph's, ariocarpus, and pelecyphora are lumped together into one watering group. The loph's are my indicator plants. When they get a little soft it is time to water all three species.

Young plants/seedlings are soaked as soon as the pots are dry as are the grafted cacti. (depending on stock of course)

Calm and Collected

Number of posts : 298
Registration date : 2014-03-01

PostSubject: Re: Watering question    Wed Oct 01, 2014 6:23 am

Thanks sneaky,
That seems like a good idea. Think I might re arrange my cacti based on water requirements, I know that some will appreciate extra water but quite a few will do better with much less.
It's always tricky in Melbourne deciding when to water, it can be nice and sunny one minute and then ice cold the next, yesterday was a perfect example, woke up and it was warm and windy by afternoon it was freezing cold and bucketing down.
I'd accidentally watered some of my Mexican and Chilean cacti more than I had planned in the last couple of weeks but they've responded well and are pushing out new spines like its nobodies business! Don't think I will push them though. Better to have an alive cactus with slower growth than a blob of mush!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Watering question    

Back to top Go down

Watering question
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1