» Romanian Online Journal - Xerophilia
by eduart Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:25 am

» Problem with cacti
by nzivanovic Sun Aug 27, 2017 10:58 pm

» Free continual trading thread
by chris86 Mon Jun 12, 2017 3:54 pm

» Nooker gone aussie
by Jackdaripper Sat Jun 10, 2017 8:40 am

» Newbie here, received a few succulents as a gift. Would love some help identifying them so I can research how to care for them!
by SneakyCuttlefish Fri Jun 02, 2017 7:08 am

Share | 

Flooding method to watering

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
lazycorn

Number of posts : 7
Registration date : 2015-01-10

PostSubject: Flooding method to watering   Sat Jan 10, 2015 7:22 pm

Hi all. I have just accidentally chance upon this forum today since i started the succulent obsession 2 months ago. This looks like a great site. I suspect i will camp out here a lot now on :p

Quick question that is burning in my mind and i can't seem to find the answer on the internet (Please forgive me if this has been discussed elsewhere in the forum):

I read from various sources that the best way to water is by 'flooding', infrequently but thoroughly. So i tried it first time yesterday, by immersing the pots into a bucket of water until it covers the rim fully. Bubbles come up through the soil and pebbles but problem is, sometimes whole chunks of soil floats up too. In an extreme case, my crassula muscosa was disloadged as the roots became unstuck!

So my question is (are):
1. Is this your preferred way to water your plants?
2. IF so, how do you prevent soil from floating upwards in chunks?
3. Are there better ways of watering that is thorough? How about watering from the top and using a saucer at the bottom so water run-offs can be sucked back in from the bottom?

Really appreciate any input/feedback you can give me.

Thank you.
Back to top Go down
Walker87
Calm and Collected

Number of posts : 298
Registration date : 2014-03-01

PostSubject: Re: Flooding method to watering   Sun Jan 11, 2015 4:21 pm

Hey lazycorn,
Most seem to be fans of bottom watering.
Leave pot in a tray of water until it soaks up from the bottom, can take a while to fully soak depending on type of soil mix and root density.
I personally use a turkey baster to water my plants but that is just my preference.
In terms of the flooding technique can't say I'm familiar with it but guess it could prove beneficial for some species.
Back to top Go down
lazycorn

Number of posts : 7
Registration date : 2015-01-10

PostSubject: Re: Flooding method to watering   Sun Jan 11, 2015 4:56 pm

Hi Walker.

Thanks for your views.

I tried a combination of top and bottom watering today on my newly potted echeveria. I lifted the 8cm x 8cm high punnet into a basin of water. With the water level around 4cm now, I started watering from the top (gently) until the basin water is just below the soil line. After a 1-2 min soak, I lifted it up feeling satisfied that the plant is now well watered (I hope) and no material soil loss happened.

Back to top Go down
SneakyCuttlefish

Number of posts : 705
Registration date : 2012-12-11

PostSubject: Re: Flooding method to watering   Thu Jan 15, 2015 9:00 pm

I prefer bottom watering mostly because it keeps the woolly cacti looking nice and fluffy.

Admin

Number of posts : 1824
Registration date : 2008-04-04

PostSubject: Re: Flooding method to watering   Wed Jan 21, 2015 10:41 am

I personally like bottom watering but how I have my plants set up it is difficult to do. I normally just revert to watering well from the top but very infrequently. The last thing you want to do is disrupt the root system.

My Cacti Blog, please come visit me.

http://astrophytum-and-friends.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down
Frankyr

Number of posts : 24
Registration date : 2015-01-22

PostSubject: Re: Flooding method to watering   Thu Jan 22, 2015 12:15 pm

Hey there,

Just a question re bottom watering plants in largely mineral mediums, I have found my mineral mixes to lack the capillary strength to wick water up very high in my pots, unless I leave water in the bottom of the trays for +24hours then I get a decent area of the medium wet. I personally don't like having my plants sitting in water for such a long time, is this what you guys do? I do use coir as a part of the organic part of my medium to help the capillary action, still.....

Therefor i have mainly started top watering, as I find my mineral mixes do not become hydrophobic when dry.

Also another question, do yo guys flush your plants you bottom feed often? as the medium would become quite saline after a while, especially the top portion no?

Anyway long time lurker first time poster HI Smile
Back to top Go down
Hellonasty
Admin

Number of posts : 1824
Registration date : 2008-04-04

PostSubject: Re: Flooding method to watering   Thu Jan 22, 2015 8:17 pm

How you fix that issue is raise the water level higher, instead of having them sit in 2cm of water have them sit in 8-10cm of water. The pressure will cause it to saturate the soil in no time at all. Just be careful if some of the post are very dry and have little plant they can float Smile

HN

My Cacti Blog, please come visit me.

http://astrophytum-and-friends.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down
Frankyr

Number of posts : 24
Registration date : 2015-01-22

PostSubject: Re: Flooding method to watering   Thu Jan 22, 2015 9:15 pm

Thanks for the reply, I will give this a go!

I was worried about making the particles in the medium float and disturbing the roots, though my mineral mixes are quite heavy so shouldn't be any problem!

Thanks again
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Flooding method to watering   

Back to top Go down

Flooding method to watering
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1