HomeGalleryFAQRegisterLog in
Latest topics
» Is this Opuntia ficus-indica ?
by RoseM Mon Dec 04, 2017 12:31 pm

» Wanted: Pereskia Aculeata (Not Godseffiana)
by EightySeven Thu Nov 30, 2017 3:02 pm

» White spots on my cacti
by cactgustim Mon Nov 20, 2017 6:11 pm

» Romanian Online Journal - Xerophilia
by eduart Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:25 am

» Problem with cacti
by nzivanovic Sun Aug 27, 2017 10:58 pm

» Free continual trading thread
by chris86 Mon Jun 12, 2017 3:54 pm

Share | 

Greetings from Queensland

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Xero

Number of posts : 4
Registration date : 2015-10-19

PostSubject: Greetings from Queensland   Mon Oct 19, 2015 8:45 am

Hello from the Sunshine Coast, Queensland.
I recently inherited a substantial collection of succulents including a vast number of cacti. Everything from Astros to Zygos. Mostly young (3-5 yrs) plants, nothing spectacular, all are amazing to me. On filling my head with information from the northern hemisphere I realised the lack of information related to cacti cultivation in Australia, particularly in the subtropics. My knowledge and practical experience is very limited and I am here to learn (and contribute) as much as I can. Please be patient with me, I am a fast learner and a keen gardener. The collection appears to consist of a lot of Rebutias, Parodias, Gymnocalyciums, and many Echinopsis hybrids. Along with a number of cacti I am struggling to identify. I will try to post some pics but I am fairly computer illiterate. Any tips on posting photos and site navigation would be greatly appreciated. I am a little excited, so please excuse my babbling. Nice to meet you all and thank you (in advance) for your patience.
Cheers Xero
Back to top Go down
SneakyCuttlefish

Number of posts : 705
Registration date : 2012-12-11

PostSubject: Re: Greetings from Queensland   Mon Oct 19, 2015 1:33 pm

Hi Xero! Welcome to the forum!

There certainly is a lack of "official" information for the southern hemisphere. However, you have come to the right place. There is an enormous accumulation of very useful information on here and I sure you will be able to find all the help you need. If you ever have any questions do not hesitate to ask as there is always someone here who knows the answer.

Posting pics is a little bit of work. The best way I found to do it is to use the "host image" and "insert image" buttons at the top of the message box. Firstly the image must be no larger then 800 x 800. Once resized on your computer you are able to upload it via the "host image" button. Once it is uploaded, there will be a box displaying the url address of the image. It is the last box at the bottom. Copy this and then hit the upload button. Then, click the "insert image" button and paste the address in there. Hit insert. Some html code will appear in the comment box and where ever you position this code will determine where it shows up in the post.

Sounds complicated but if you have a play around with it I'm sure it will make more sense. If you are having any troubles do not hesitate to PM or e-mail me and I will try my best to help you through it.

PostSubject: Re: Greetings from Queensland   Mon Oct 19, 2015 5:01 pm

Cheers, I really look forward to filling knowledge gaps and sharing what I know. I will play around with pics later, sounds easy enough.
Cheers Xero
Back to top Go down
Q-cactus

Number of posts : 6
Registration date : 2015-07-22

PostSubject: Re: Greetings from Queensland   Fri Oct 23, 2015 12:30 am

Hi Xero. I live in cabolture, so reasonably close by. I have a very large collection of everything.
You could come by and visit, pick up some tips for our climate, have a poke around the collection and talk spiny fat plants.
I might be able to make it up your way and name some plants for you.
Cheers Q-cactus
Back to top Go down
Xero

PostSubject: Re: Greetings from Queensland   Fri Oct 23, 2015 9:49 am

Hi Q-cactus,
That sounds great. I love spiney, fat plants ( I don't mind the smooth ones either). I have a nice collection of succulents (love my pachypodiums, adeniums, hawortias and gasterias). Fairly new to the amazing world of cacti. Would love to catch up some time, come and visit (you and your plants). Bring a few trays over for Identification. I am always keen to gain any knowledge or tips that ensures better health for my plants. I have started a rock garden out the front on a slope with lots of drainage. It is on hold at the moment (don't know enough about light tolerances). Too much information, not enough knowledge. Hope to talk soon.
Cheers Xero
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Greetings from Queensland   

Back to top Go down

Greetings from Queensland
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1