» Romanian Online Journal - Xerophilia
by eduart Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:25 am

» Problem with cacti
by nzivanovic Sun Aug 27, 2017 10:58 pm

» Free continual trading thread
by chris86 Mon Jun 12, 2017 3:54 pm

» Nooker gone aussie
by Jackdaripper Sat Jun 10, 2017 8:40 am

» Newbie here, received a few succulents as a gift. Would love some help identifying them so I can research how to care for them!
by SneakyCuttlefish Fri Jun 02, 2017 7:08 am

Share | 

Moving house with cacti... a mini-blog

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Lachy

Number of posts : 733
Registration date : 2008-04-05

PostSubject: Moving house with cacti... a mini-blog   Sun Feb 21, 2010 4:22 pm

Well folks, the time has come. I have to move house.

Moving house is usually frustrating and tiring enough on its own. I've spent the last week rummaging through a quarter of a century worth of accumulated... stuff. I've sorted and culled through papers (taxes, car rego, insurance), books (from comics to uni law texts), sporting goods (why do I have so many golf balls?), musical instruments (an accordian? I don't recall buying that...) and assorted stuff from my childhood (ZOMG space lego!). I've spent my first weekend off from work since october boxing stuff up. I've made umpteen trips to Bunnings to buy more plastic crates to store everything. I think I'm nearly ready to move all my stuff.

However, being a bit of a cacti freak, there's a spanner thrown in the works. How do I move all of this:

Stay tuned to find out...
Back to top Go down
blowng
Calm and Collected

Number of posts : 256
Registration date : 2008-10-28

PostSubject: Re: Moving house with cacti... a mini-blog   Sun Feb 21, 2010 7:21 pm

um...very carefully? lol, keep us posted
Back to top Go down
Olga
Calm and Collected

Number of posts : 229
Registration date : 2009-11-08

PostSubject: Re: Moving house with cacti... a mini-blog   Mon Feb 22, 2010 11:47 am

Styrofoam boxes, I have many pots packed into those in anticipation of moving
Back to top Go down
Miranda

Number of posts : 21
Registration date : 2009-06-15

PostSubject: Re: Moving house with cacti... a mini-blog   Mon Feb 22, 2010 12:42 pm

I have all my smaller cacti in wire baskets, it ensures airflow under the pots and also makes them very easy to move around.
Back to top Go down
Vicki
Calm and Collected

Number of posts : 177
Registration date : 2008-07-23

PostSubject: Re: Moving house with cacti... a mini-blog   Tue Feb 23, 2010 8:53 am

re the accumulated stuff. It's the only thing that keeps me from moving elsewhere! And I would need a truck just for the cacti collection and then i wouldn't trust anyone else to do it.
Keep us updated, will be interesting.
Back to top Go down
Emma

Number of posts : 28
Registration date : 2010-02-17

PostSubject: Re: Moving house with cacti... a mini-blog   Tue Feb 23, 2010 1:55 pm

My heart goes out to you - the last time I moved 2 moving men got seriously thorned despite my warnings of how to carry them, and then my Dad did his back in lifting one at the new location.

Actually that one has been stuck on a chair at the bottom of the stairs ever since.

I recommend for the bigger ones you use one of those little trolleys they use to move fridges with. Even if they aren't that heavy, it still protects from the spikes.
Back to top Go down
mr_diesel60

Number of posts : 26
Registration date : 2010-02-22

PostSubject: Re: Moving house with cacti... a mini-blog   Sat Feb 27, 2010 8:36 pm

LOL oh dear.... Well at least there doesn't seem to be any plants there there that are too big. Let us know how you go!!
Back to top Go down
Lachy

PostSubject: Re: Moving house with cacti... a mini-blog   Sun Feb 28, 2010 6:40 pm

Step one: Round 'em up.

Step two: Load 'em in.

Step three: Roll out...
Back to top Go down
Lachy

PostSubject: Re: Moving house with cacti... a mini-blog   Sun Feb 28, 2010 6:57 pm

As for these ones:

...You're gonna need a bigger boot.

Wink
Back to top Go down
Lachy

PostSubject: Re: Moving house with cacti... a mini-blog   Sun Feb 28, 2010 7:22 pm

This one wanted a window seat...

Back to top Go down
lewis
avid contributor & moderator

Number of posts : 862
Registration date : 2008-05-07

PostSubject: Re: Moving house with cacti... a mini-blog   Sun Feb 28, 2010 7:25 pm

Good work bro!
nice view you used to have, green looking.
i like Mornington penninsula, where abouts are you moving to?

BTW nice pereskiopsis shrub. i see what you mean when you said in the other post about growing it just as a specimen plant. post if it flowers.
come on... someone has to get it to flower in Aus!!
Back to top Go down
Lachy

PostSubject: Re: Moving house with cacti... a mini-blog   Sun Feb 28, 2010 7:33 pm

Well, I was based in Mount Eliza, but I'm shifting to Langwarrin. Not as leafy and green, but more sunlight for my collection...
Back to top Go down
Lachy

PostSubject: Re: Moving house with cacti... a mini-blog   Thu Mar 04, 2010 2:32 pm

Load a few more up...

e

Once they're at their new home, the site is prepared:

(In other words, dig a bloody great big hole in the ground, and ensure good drainage with a heap of scoria)

...And before you know it, the little devils are making their own way to their new home:

Back to top Go down
KanJe
watchman

Number of posts : 393
Registration date : 2008-06-24

PostSubject: Re: Moving house with cacti... a mini-blog   Mon Mar 08, 2010 12:48 pm

Looks great Lachy. It must be stressful for the plants and you to be moving but they look happy now. I can wait to see that bed in a couple of years.
Back to top Go down
http://s673.photobucket.com/albums/vv99/KanJe_Garden/
Olga
Calm and Collected

Number of posts : 229
Registration date : 2009-11-08

PostSubject: Re: Moving house with cacti... a mini-blog   Mon Apr 19, 2010 1:37 pm

Looks wonderful Lach Keep us posted on the growth
Back to top Go down
mutant
Calm and Collected

Number of posts : 286
Registration date : 2010-01-10

PostSubject: Re: Moving house with cacti... a mini-blog   Mon Apr 19, 2010 5:58 pm

Well done, nice patch...

I regularly move my own cacti [mostly columnars] that have grown a bit from my home roof where I keep the most to a nearby location where I keep a mobile home and my cacti garden. I could provide photos of some such moving if you like. Oh, sometimes I get a spine or two broken, but that's all.
Back to top Go down
Hellonasty
Admin

Number of posts : 1824
Registration date : 2008-04-04

PostSubject: Re: Moving house with cacti... a mini-blog   Mon Apr 19, 2010 7:40 pm

Awesome Lachy !

My Cacti Blog, please come visit me.

http://astrophytum-and-friends.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down
Lachy

PostSubject: Re: Moving house with cacti... a mini-blog   Wed Apr 21, 2010 8:10 pm

Cheers for the comments, guys.

This is definitely going to be an ongoing project. I've got a second bed planted out with US and Mexican species... However, I'm currently doing battle with the grass that has sprouted in the second bed, but once that's under control I'll get some more pics.

In the meantime, I'm already seeing good signs of growth on the plants in this bed. Several of the trichs are responding really well to the dynamic lifter that I forked through the soil prior to planting, and I reckon that this garden should look really nice within a year or so.
Back to top Go down
Darren
Calm and Collected

Number of posts : 352
Registration date : 2009-09-07

PostSubject: Re: Moving house with cacti... a mini-blog   Wed Apr 21, 2010 10:48 pm

*WARNING*

When moving large trich's be careful they dont fall on you. My uncle Murry has been in and out of hospital all week getting spines removed from his scalp and back
Back to top Go down
Darren
Calm and Collected

PostSubject: Re: Moving house with cacti... a mini-blog   Wed Apr 21, 2010 10:53 pm

BTW the garden bed is looking great... i use round up on the kikuyu in my garden.

darren
Back to top Go down
Lachy

PostSubject: Re: Moving house with cacti... a mini-blog   Thu Apr 22, 2010 6:47 pm

Quote :
My uncle Murry has been in and out of hospital all week getting spines removed from his scalp and back

Yeowch... that sounds severely painful. I hope he recovers soon.

Just out of curiousity... what species was it that attacked him?
Back to top Go down
mutant
Calm and Collected

Number of posts : 286
Registration date : 2010-01-10

PostSubject: Re: Moving house with cacti... a mini-blog   Thu Apr 22, 2010 8:11 pm

Quote :
However, I'm currently doing battle with the grass that has sprouted in
the second bed
I am currently into such battles by self! pics coming too
Back to top Go down
Lachy

PostSubject: Re: Moving house with cacti... a mini-blog   Thu Apr 22, 2010 8:29 pm

I've actually seen ads for a gadget that is basically a butane jet lighter on a long wand, designed to incinerate the weeds in situ. I'm seriously considering getting one after attempting to hand weed around an Opuntia that I'm now dubbing O. bastardo-plantae, or possibly O. humungus-payne... Laughing

Link.
Back to top Go down
Darren
Calm and Collected

PostSubject: Re: Moving house with cacti... a mini-blog   Thu Apr 22, 2010 10:33 pm

Quote :
Just out of curiousity... what species was it that attacked him?

i reckon T. bridgesii but severely malnutritioned!... i think it may have been payback for all those years of neglect.
Quote :
butane jet lighter on a long wand, designed to incinerate the weeds in situ
I HAVE GOTTA GET ME ONE OF THOSE!!!!!!!!
i am training my 3 year old son to remove all weeds from my garden he is coming along very well! O. bastardo-plantae & O. humungus-payne could prove problematic.

darren
Back to top Go down
Lachy

PostSubject: Re: Moving house with cacti... a mini-blog   Fri Apr 23, 2010 1:52 pm

As promised, here's the progress of the second bed:

And here's the one that bit me, identified by more charitable souces as O. aciculata:

I've tried weeding around it whilst wearing gloves, however I've since discovered that leather rigger's gloves are no impediment to vicious spines. In fact, they are simply a further source of discomfort as the spines also tend to break off, effectively stapling the gloves to my hands...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Moving house with cacti... a mini-blog   

Back to top Go down

Moving house with cacti... a mini-blog
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next